Covetous Hearts is a quest in Torment: Tides of Numenera.
I've learned that Dracogen desires an item called the Navigational Cortex, which is a prized possession of the lascars in the Lost Anchorage. Dracogen is definitely interested in obtaining the Cortex, and he admitted to sending a team to steal it... but they were slain in the attempt. If I try to acquire the Cortex for him, he recommends that I rely on guile and deception, not force.
- The goal is to enter the navigational cortex room, which parallels the Familiar Skies quest - both require you to gain access to the cortex, though for cross purposes.
- First, examine the door leading into the cortex room to get the idea to lead Pilot-Major Genjes away. Talk to him and ask for a tour. This triggers a crisis. Genjes will give you a guided tour of the station, giving you time to access the cortex room. You can talk to him (consumes action) to keep him occupied. Keep one party member on him to keep talking and asking questions. The rest should split into two teams: One for the cortex room, the other to operate the console in the center of the observation room.
- The cortex room can be opened using Intellect (Lore: Machinery) or Might (Smashing). Once you open the door it's locked in the open position and you're on a timer.
- To remove the Navigational Cortex you need to spend three actions. Simply talking to it doesn't consume actions. To analyze the Broken Lascar Helmet, you need to progress to the third stage.
- The stages require using Speed (Lore: Machinery) or Might (Smashing). Then you need to confirm it from the central console with Speed (Quick Fingers, Stealth). Repeat three times, substituting Intellect for Speed for the second and third stages.
- Now you can remove the Cortex (consumes action). Alternatively, if you have the Familiar Skies quest, you can scan the helmet and let the cortex deduce that Earth is the homeworld of the lascars. Afterwards run over to Captain Janur and let her know what you found out. If you didn't remove the cortex you'll get it from her as a quest reward, otherwise you need to pass an Intellect (Persuasion, Deception) check.
- Run back to the way you came in, entering the portal and returning to Dracogen to claim your reward.